Skip to main content

Wooden Spoon in Rockwell

I am not a Power Plant Mall kind of a gal.  I find the mall quite boring to be honest, the only thing that I look forward to are the Baker's Dozen fair and the bazaars at the Rockwell Tent.  One of the reasons why I go to PP Mall is because the mall is fairly clean - I can bring the kids there to play and not worry about the mall's toilets being dirty.  I love that their toilets are really clean and lovely to look at.

So yesterday, on the way to PP Mall, I was already thinking of a place to eat.  It has been Shi Lin for the past few visits and I wasn't up to having XLB.  Good thing while walking towards True Value, I saw Wooden Spoon open!  We got there at 11AM so the place wasn't as full - but since we had to go to True Value first, I decided to leave my name so that when we get back, we would be prioritized.

We went back a little before 12nn and the place was packed!  We had to wait about 20 minutes to get a table.  Server Errol apologized on the delay apparently, its their first day today to open!  He told me 'Ma'am bawi kami sa food and sa service!'  So, since it was their opening day, my Panget and I were very forgiving.  We expected that the food will be served a bit delayed - and it was.  But the flavor of the food more than made up for the delay.  I didn't get to take pictures of the other food that arrived since we were so hungry, but I'll do my best to describe them.  I apologize for only taking one food pic!

 Crab Pancit

When you look at the menu - the dishes really seem ordinary.  Its more like a menu with home cooked meals.  But of course, you have to consider the fact that these dishes are made by the Daza's, and so I trusted the menu and I have to be honest, I was really impressed.  The home cooked meals didn't seem so ordinary, I guess with the tweaks here and there of Sandy Daza, they became the better versions of the usual home cooked meals.  I swear the dishes don't taste anything ordinary at all!  The flavors were wonderful, the sauces are amazing.  We really enjoyed our meal there and I would definitely go back to try the other dishes. 

So, to Wooden Spoon Power Plant Mall - CONGRATULATIONS!  Your dishes were great, service was also good despite being your opening day.  I have to commend you for training your staff well.  Bravo!

Here's the list of dishes that we ordered:
1) Boneless Crispy Chicken (P217.00) - I am such a sucker for chicken dishes, when it was served to us, I was amazed on the size, it was big!  But then I realized, it was flat - but nonetheless, it was good enough!  I wish there were more gravy (they were giving refills though..)  Kailee liked it so much that she was able to finish half of it!  (I ate the remaining half)

2)  Tinapa Fried Rice (P155.00) - This dish was yummy, but we got so bitin, so we just ordered extra plain rice.

3)  Crab Pancit (P175.00) - This was the BEST dish of all that we ordered.  We were all surprised and welcomed this version.  My yayas were all praises for this dish!  The picture above is this one.  Boyet the server told us not to mix the noodles thoroughly, so as to have the crispy effect as we ate.  Good recommendation!

4)  Lechon Kawali (P217.00) - When it was served to us, it looked so kawawa because it looked so few!  But when you taste it and dip it into any one of the dipping sauces (vinegar, coriander, and a ginger sauce) you'll understand why the serving was just that and nothing more.  Order this and be surprised!

5)  Squid with Chili (P249.00) - The sweet and spicy taste is just a wonderful mix.  I was expecting not to be blown away by this - but I was wrong (again!) it was really good.  Yaya Donna liked this the best.

6)  Sigarilyas at Daing (P155.00) - I have to be honest, I do not eat sigarilyas - but I had to try this out because the sauce was amazing.  (See?  Wooden Spoon was able to make me try sigarilyas!) And it was also good!  Masarap pala ang sigarilyas

So, there you have it! :)

I have to say - its through watching the show 'Cooking with the Daza's' 'Cooking it up with Nora' every Saturday morning when I was little, that I learned to appreciate cooking.  The show made me like to cook!  So I guess with my cooking career (if there was any) - I've come full circle!

Wooden Spoon
P1 Level, Power Plant Mall
Rockwell, Makati

(It just dawned on my that their main branch is in Katipunan!  I won't need to go far to try more of the dishes!  Yeyness!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w