Skip to main content

Cooking Quest: Oyster Cake

Oyster Cake is a favorite dish that I order in Coral Garden.  Its THE best Oyster Cake if you ask me.  Its crunchy and has a LOT of oysters.  So, last week, when I saw at Fisher Mall's supermarket that they were selling shucked oysters - I had an idea.
1)  Make my version of the XO Oyster by Tian Pao Wan
2)  Make an Oyster cake
3)  Bake them

On my first try - I cooked Oyster with Tausi because it was requested by my Panget.  It turned out okay.  On my next attempt - I tried the XO Oyster - and instead of it being crunchy, it came out makunat.  So on my third try - I wanted to do an oyster cake.  So I looked for a recipe online.  Looked and looked and wasn't satisfied.  All recipes I saw used an egg, and I didn't want an egg in my oyster cake.  I finally came across a recipe I liked a few days ago.  The problem was that - it asked for a particular starch - Tapioca Starch.  I started to look for it, but all my efforts were futile and so I settled for Potato starch.  And man, was I disappointed.

Since the first two attempts were just so-so, I wasn't expecting much on this third attempt.  Yesterday, while walking around Hi-Top Supermarket, I suddenly saw Tapioca starch!  I was so happy!  My dreams of making an oyster cake was soon becoming a reality.  So this afternoon, I went to Fisher Mall confident that I would find some more oysters.  Well - I was disappointed once again - oysters were all sold out.  Sigh..  Good thing, my mom called her suki in Dapitan.  This suki referred his neighboring stall - they cost P50.00 per plastic.


I am sorry, but I was too excited on the outcome that I ate the small piece that I prepared.  I had my helpers try it and they liked it.  It was a success on the first attempt!  WONDERFUL!  Good job, Didi (with matching pat on the back)  Haha!!

So here are the ingredients:
Oysters - shucked and cleaned
Bean Sprouts
Leeks or Chives (Chives are better!!)
Tapioca Starch
Salt & Pepper to taste
Scrambled Egg (optional)

Okay - since I just experimented what I did was just to throw everything in and mix it.  Mix together the cleaned oysters, bean sprouts, leeks, tapioca starch and salt and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  Use a non-stick pan for easier handling, heat and when you see the smoke come out from the pan, pour the mixture.  Cook until golden brown and flip over.  You can cook it longer to make it more crispy but make sure you are using the correct heat setting so as not to burn the oyster cake.  You may add the scrambled egg when it cake is golden brown.  I honestly preferred it without the egg, but I guess the egg is an extender of some sort.

I'll be attempting to make another one tomorrow - wish me luck!!

BTW - I got the Tapioca Starch at Hi-Top Supermarket along Quezon Avenue, I'm sure you are all wondering about that.  Hehehe...

P.S.  When I made this oystercake - I didn't use particular measurements because it was on 'tancha' basis and trial and error.  What I suggest you do is that you try and cook a piece or two of oysters to test the taste and add on the salt and pepper to taste.  As for the Tapioca Starch, you can just add as you wish - I wanted it to be really sticky so I added more.

Made this during lunch time 02/25/2014
I used MORE cooking oil and I think it made a 
HUGE difference. 

Comments

  1. I've never had oyster cake before, but would like to try cooking it. Can you post the measurements as well? Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! I'm sorry but I did not measure the ingredients anymore because I did it by trial and error.

      Delete
  2. This is just awesome, no comments! No other words to say! I really love this incrediby stunning article! Share more, please!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w