Skip to main content

Ukkokei Ramen Ron


I've heard about this restaurant for YEARS.  My friend, Kath is such a fan of this place and would always tell me to try it out!  I've been meaning to try it out, but the times that we've tried - the place was either closed or there were no available parking spaces.

I think Ukkokei belongs to the earliest and first ever wave of the ramen places here in Manila - because even before (I mean ages before) the ramen craze, they were already open.  I was told that this was the place to go for your authentic Japanese ramen fix - and its too bad that it was in Makati because I live on the opposite side of the city!  It was always been a dream to eat there - and it still has remained one.

But just this Monday night, since it was a holiday the next day - we decided to have dinner there to celebrate my mom's salubong (Chinese) birthday.  I was really really excited, Kath repeatedly told me to get the Tan Tan Mien.  So it was the first thing we ordered.  While waiting for our orders to arrive - I was looking at the restaurant.  It looked really simple, the interiors were just ordinary.  There were tables on one side of the restaurant and there were Japanese booth on the other.  I liked that their female staff is very attentive, they would say 'Hai!' whenever you called their attention.  I think I was testing their patience because every so often, I would call their attention to order something.  I didn't give out all the orders at once - we kept on adding and adding (much to our confusion) but mind you, all the orders were spot on.  Except for one - the Shio Ramen for Kailee that arrived really late so I gave it to the Yayas instead to share (on top of their Karaage Chicken and Rice dish)

Anyways, here is the Tan Tan Mien:


It looked really scary as I was not very fond of the tan tan kind, but I had to give it a try since Kath was raving about this and I was curious too as this dish was only available during dinner time and it was for a limited number of bowls per night.




My GOSH - what I tasted was indescribable.  It was really really really GOOD!  I swear, for a moment there I forgot my favorites!  My tastebuds were treated to a delightful mix of the wonderfully made broth, and a kick in spice.  I couldn't stop drinking the broth and momentarily forgot that it was steaming hot!  This is the BEST tasting ramen that I have ever tried in Manila, the BEST!  Now I know why many friends say that Ukkokei still is on top of their charts.  Now, I understand.  Now I too, believe!!



We also tried the Curry Tan Tan and my gosh, it was the creamiest curry soup that I have tasted in my life and it sooooo reminded me of the ramens that I had in Japan!  Yes, I swear - I tasted the soup and it brought back memories of when I was in Japan.  That good, that good!

For a moment there, I forgot my favorites - as in literally forgot them!  I was thinking 'Why was so and so my favorite - THIS should be my favorite!'  Hahaha..  It was only after a while that I realized that for every ramen enthusiast, there will be a favorite.  There is really no ONE best that can suit everyone's taste.

I would like to clarify - that my favorite is still ICHIRAN Ramen.  But Ukkokei's Tan Tan Men is really really good!!  The soups is rich and the power of the flavor is unmatched - if you compare it to other ramens.

I would brave traffic just to have this ramen.  I swear, it is that good!

Ukkokei Ramen Ron
Pasay Road, Makati

Comments

  1. Lets go!!! bigla nagcrave ako!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sige Kath!! I'll hitch with you!! Tara!

      Love, Didi

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w