Skip to main content

Cooking Quest: Slow Cooked 40 Clove Garlic Chicken

My mom has this orange ceramic-ish crackpot.  I will never forget it because that's what she uses to soften a tough dry abalone.  I remember one time she was so angry because she found a crack!  She told me that she has used that particular crackpot for years and was sad to buy a new one.  She has often told me that the new models are not the same.

When I got married - I don't remember if I got one as a gift, or my mom gave me one.  I tried looking for it in the stock room, but got too lazy to weed through the boxes so I just gave up!  Two Christmases ago, my Panget received a Breville Multi-Chef - it says in the box that it's a slow cooker.  Since it was on the top of the box pile (Yes, I need to re-organize my stock room) I took it out.  

It was such a badass of a slow cooker!  It was shiny, it has a digital display and buttons that illuminate when you press them!  It looked really looked cool.  Well, a very cool and state of the art - rice cooker.  Yes, I read the manual - it is a rice cooker, that can also function as a slow cooker (that can cook risotto!)

I saw in Tina's FB feed that she made 40 Clove Chicken.  I wanted to try one.  So I searched for a recipe - it was perfect because the recipe I liked, called for a slow cooker!  Hooray!!

I have to be honest, I didn't know what slow cooking meant or how to do it.  I only learned the other day that - you put all the ingredients in and let it cool, slowy - for 6 hours.  So, that's the reason why it's called slow cooker - duh?!  Hahaha!

So here's what it looked like, when I put all of my ingredients in Breville the MultiChef slow cooker:



And this is what it looks like after 3 hours of slow cooking, I loved seeing the bubbles!!



And here's the FINISHED product!!  Look at the color and it smelled wonderful!!



I can do this more often.  I like that I can just put everything in and leave it to cook!  Makes me wonder why I haven't tried it before!  Argh..  I am such a late bloomer!!  

The taste was just perfect!  The chicken was oh so tender, juicy and very flavorful!  I honestly added  more garlic than the recipe called for since I loooove garlic!  Hihi..  Passed the tastebuds of the kids, my Panget and the helpers!  Yeyness!!  I would love to use this slow cooker again and try maybe - Pot Roast?  Hihi.. Wish me luck!

Here's the recipe that I followed from Seriouseats.com, I just omitted the Cognac as we do not have one and I don't think its reasonable to buy one (unless you drink it on a regular basis).  I also used dried Thyme as the supermarket that I went to was out of fresh Thyme.  I also used a whole chicken instead of just thighs.



Comments

  1. I always use slow cooker but never tried this recipe yet. You should try roast beef too, and use apple juice instead of water or stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Tess! Happy New Year! Thank you for your comment. I clicked your name's link and got to a site that says your address is available. I hope you can write back to me because I am very interested with your recipe!!!! Please get in touch with me!! candishhh@gmail.com Please please please!!

      Love, Didi

      Delete
  2. Looks yum Didi. Always wanted to try "slow cooking." Heard there are tons of good recipes out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caths! Happy New Year!! :)
      I'm looking for recipes nga eh!!

      Love, Didi

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious, Didi! Patikim naman nyan. hehehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w