Skip to main content

How to Clean Denim Stains on a Leather Bag

Last February, the unthinkable happened.

My pink leather bag was stained by my jeans!  Look..........


Can you see the contrast in color?

It's so sad!  This happened while we were in Hong Kong.  I thought, I was in luck since I'm sure that the sales staff here would at least know what to do right?  So, I dropped by the store nearest to me and ask how to clean it.  And you know what the sales staff said?  *Sorry, it's impossible to clean*  LECHE.  I don't think that's what you tell those who ask for help diba?  I was pissed.  I was actually determined to prove her wrong.  But then again, I was in HK - they won't care naman e.  It was more of a personal quest.  She just looked at me blankly and probably thinking - that's why you don't buy light colored bags!  Grrrr...

I was pissed so I messaged my friend.  My friend Kath said she uses the Coach leather cleaner.  My other friend Maymay said that she has a Kate Spade leather cleaner that I can use.  There was hope.  I can try these methods and if all else fails - I guess, it's alright since the stain is at the back of the bag.

I finally got hold of the Kate Spade leather cleaner.  Maymay told he that she was instructed by the store staff to use cotton.  So I followed her.  I used cotton to try and clean it.  Slowly but surely - it WORKED!  But the thing was, my arm was getting tired from rubbing!  Hahaha!!  It was taking longer than usual but I told myself to be patient, well - I needed to be patient or else nothing will come out of it!  So I rested for like 2 days.  Hahahaha!! :)  Then I tried it again.  

But after 2 days of using cotton balls.  I gave up.  It was too much work!  Hahaha.  Seriously, I was thinking too much work with just a little difference.  My Panget was actually smirking and asking if it really works.  I then remembered that I had small cut ups of Melamine Sponge (aka Mr. Clean's Eraser) that we got in Daiso Tokyo last November.  I then took the risk and tried it on a small portion.   I put the leather cleaner on the surface of the small melamine sponge, squeezed it so that the product will get into the sponge.  I slowly rubbed it on the leather surface in a circular motion.  I was nervous and secretly praying that the leather won't get damaged. 

Without much effort - IT WORKED!  I was in disbelief how fast it took the stain out!  So I tried it again on another portion of the bag.  And it still worked!   I was soooo happy that I was cleaning like crazy!  Hahaha..  I had to *gently* rub the melamine sponge on the flat surface of the bag.  I also learned that the more product you use, the better and easier to clean.  Make sure to use enough product that when you rub, it'll create suds/bubbles.  The leather cleaner instructions suggests that you don't put the cleaner directly on the bag, but I did just that.  Hahaha!! But don't take my word for it, you can try it and risk it.  I did and it turned out okay naman. 

Here's the finished product:


There's a huge difference right?! 


Bye Bye Demin stains!!  Woohooo!!


I tried to clean the folded parts of the bag and realized that it didn't work.  Instead it damaged the leather more.  So I theorized that the melamine sponge + Kate Spade leather cleaner only works on flat surface leather bags.  You need to be very careful with the *power* of the melamine sponge when you use it on a folded leather surface.  See below:

Can you spot the damage?  
Good thing it's at the bottom of the bag!!

So, thank you Maymay for letting me use your Kate Spade leather cleaner.  I went on and bought myself a bottle because I have this urge to clean my other leather bags!  Hahaha... I called Kate Spade outlets but they were all out of stock.  I was told to call Rustan's Makati to try.  And I did, and they still had bottles and bottles in stock.  It costs P795.00 




Your patience will be tested.  What I did was clean it everyday or every other for short periods of time.  It gets tiring and frustrating when you don't see immediate results.  You need to be very very GENTLE with how you clean.  Do not force the sponge on the bag because I'm sure the leather will get damaged.  You can also try the towel/cotton method but I find it takes longer to clean (so for sure mooooore patience!)

Here's the side by side image of the bag with denim stain and without the demin stain.



See the difference?

So, THANK YOU Maymay for letting me use your Kate Spade leather cleaner!

I owe you!!

Comments

  1. Did you know that you can shorten your long urls with LinkShrink and make $$$$ for every visitor to your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w