Skip to main content

Cupcakes: Attempt #1

I have been craving for cupcakes since I last visited Cupcakes by Sonja after Market Man's eyeball. Christine suggested that I make my own concoction to suffice my craving - a good idea? - Brilliant! And so I searched the information super highway for recipes for a good cupcake. I searched and searched till it dawned on me that I was looking for the wrong kind of recipe. Since I was craving for Sonja's cupcakes - why not try and search for the Magnolia Bakery's original recipe! When I hit the search button - the results were alarming! There were numerous sites that were giving away the recipe, the famous bakery even had it's own cookbook for sale in Amazon!

Thus - I copied 2 recipes. Both recipes asked for self-rising flour, what in the world is that and where will I find such? I sent an SMS to my good friend Jen and my Panget's sister-in-law. They both told me to make my own self-rising flour, since the recipe called for 1-1/2 cups self-rising flour I just needed to add 2-1/4 teaspon of baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon of salt.

I started measuring for the ingredients after eating lunch. It was just then that I found out that I was missing an ingredient! I thought I had baking powder on hand - but it turned out to be baking soda! I had to ask the driver to buy me baking powder! Thank goodness the driver was there!!

Yesterday was also the first time that I used my brand new Kitchen Aid mixer (thanks to my Panget's brother and sis-in-law - they bought and brought this home for me from the US, they got it for such a good price!) That mixer is so incredible! When before, I slaved with a handheld mixer - now I can just stand aside and look in the mixer while it blends all the ingredients perfectly. What a time and energy saver!! :)

I followed the recipe to a T. And the result - well, I was disappointed. There was defintely something wrong with the cupcake (but I couldn't figure it out!), it smelled and tasted too egg-y (for me), the frosting was too sweet too! My Panget on the otherhand was satisfied - but commented on the sweetness and that he wanted a cupcake with a more bite to it. I made another mistake - I know most bakers will make me sabunot for this - I put the frosting too early, while it hasn't been totally cooled yet - I have my reasons! My Panget was pressuring me to move faster! (he saw and watched me bake, for the first time.. Hehehe :) But seriously - I was too excited to tasted the whole thing. Next time, next attempt - I'll make sure it'll turn out to be better than this. I'll have to figure out a way to make the icing less sweet.

The Magnolia Bakery Cupcake Recipe
Cupcakes:
1-1/2 cups Self-Rising Flour
1-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
2 cups Sugar
4 large Eggs, at room temparature
1 cup Milk
1 teaspon Vanilla Extract

- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanila. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat. using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended. Carefully spoon the batter unto the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes our clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing. At the bakery we ice the cupcakes with either Vanilla Buttercream or Chocolate Buttercream.

Icing: Vanilla Buttercream
1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
6 to 8 cups Confectioners' Sugar
1/2 cup Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good speading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar. If desired, add a few drops of coloring and mix thoroughly. Icing can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

The cupcake recipe makes about 2 dozen cupcakes - depending on the size. I have about 5 more left - any takers? :) The vanilla frosting however is too much for 2 dozen cakes! I still have some stored in an airtight container (I used the Tostitos Salsa container)

Any advice on how to do it better on my next try? :)

Comments

  1. Hi didi! Try using only 4 cups of powdered sugar for your frosting. That is how I make my frosting. Or if you want to try this out, this is what I used way back in my cooking class but this may yield a plenty for your 2 dozens of cupcakes.
    Vanilla Buttercream icing
    1 cup chilled milk
    1 cup butter
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup whip cream
    2-2 1/2 tsp vanilla
    ***dissolve the granulated sugar with milk

    For your self-rising flour, be sure you only measured it when you already added the baking powder and salt. It is best that you make this at a standard of 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 tsp salt and 3 tsp of baking powder. Sift well. From the mixture, measure your needed 1 1/2 cup of self rising flour. Store the rest.

    Be sure everything you need to bake the cupcakes is at room temperature.

    I hope I'm able to help. Happy baking, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the help!! Will try and make another batch this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good! I love the vanilla with buttercream, thats one of my favorites of Sonjas. So nice and light and simple but oh so good. Let us know how the second attempt goes, have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candishhh! I think your cupcakes look cute...and the way the icing is kinda sideways makes it look like it's wearing a saucy little beret :)

    I make Nigella's Burnt Butter Brown Sugar cupcakes and I really like how they turn out...let me know it you want the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your cupcakes look like the delicious ones in cupcakes by sonja at serendra :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine! I'll be making another attempt this week! I hope if turns out well!

    Hi Joey! :) Please do send me the recipe! I super appreciate the gesture! :) Thanks again!!

    Hi Jayvee f.!:) Thanks for dropping by! :) Your comment flattered me to bits! I'll make another attempt and maybe, they'll look more like Sonja's cupcakes.. Hehehe.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w