Skip to main content

Blood Donation - A+

Image borrowed from THIS site

I recently just discovered that I was an A+ - I always thought that since I have a twin brother, whatever his blood type - is mine as well! But I was wrong. He's and AB while I'm an A. I gathered that since we two has our individual sacs - we had different blood types.

Yesterday morning, my Panget asked for my blood type, he said that a relative needed blood - he then asked if I wanted to donate. And I said Yes.

Things to consider:
1) I am deathly afraid of needles piercing my flesh (except for the derma and the dentist - i LOVE them both!)
2) I hate the sight of too much blood!
3) This will be my first time EVER to donate blood.
4) I am afraid of pain, period

So - I thought, this is a good thing. A good deed! I am helping another individual, right?

Then, there's the waiting period. I hate the waiting because it makes me think of so many things! Then there's the fear coupled with the waiting! I hate it.

So it was my turn. I had to grip on my Panget's hand tightly. It was so hard to relax as I was imagining the needle. I didn't want to look so I hid behind my Panget's back. I told the nurse/lab tech - to chat with me, so I'll be distracted, but then - she said 'Hinga ng malalim ma'am!' Oh, great - that means only one thing - she'll be piercing the needle on my arm now. I was about to cry - when I felt the pain. But then in my mind I was saying 'God, give me strength!' I was repeating this over and over again in my head. She then told me to squeeze the stressball - but every time I squeezed it, there was pain!

After a few minutes - another technician came to me and told me she was going to fix the needle. My imagination ran wild, again!! And when the moved it - the pain sort of went away and I was able to squeeze more comfortably.

My Panget was by my side - holding on to my hand's tight grip, telling me to relax and to keep on squeezing. A few minutes later - the technician took out the needle and I was done.

Wrong!

The reason why she took it out was because - there was too little blood that was flowing, and that she gathered that my vein was too small! And I thought the flow was going smoothly! My Panget agreed that there was too little blood flowing out of me. Another attempt meant that another needle will be pierced on my opposite arm! The technician said that she'll have a hard time looking for a vein because my veins are just too small!

Looking at the bag - the technician declared I gave only 300cc.

For my blood to be used - it was to be 500cc.

Darnit - my efforts were futile. My blood wasn't enough!!

I couldn't understand why they needed a full bag for the blood to be useful.

Oh well, medical explanations will just confuse me more.

So, there goes my first ever blood donation - gone futile.

Too bad!!

But it was a brave thing my Panget said.

Indeed it was!!!!!!!

Comments

  1. atta girl! that was a very brave thing to do, D! you should be proud of yourself! im sure your P is. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dyanie - thanks dear!!

    @Ate Gita - Thanks!! :) Sana nga proud si Panget!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! i have a friend in dire need of blood type A+

    i would really appreciate any leads. i am in metro manila, he is in davao. but i believe it can be sent. pls contact me @ 0917.625.0887

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sensei - why don't you go to the bloodbank or to the red cross? You can also make a shout-out to your friends at FB.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w