Skip to main content

Hong Kong Diaries: Tim Ho Wan in Central

The first time I tried Tim Ho Wan was in North Point last year.  We were brought there by my Panget's cousin and I think I was the happiest chowing down so many barbecued pork buns!  Since his cousin was under the weather last week, we decided to have 'merienda' by ourselves.  And since we were in Central, I suggested that we walk to IFC.  Central has this massive covered walkways - so we walked on it towards IFC.  It was a relaxing walk - it wasn't crowded when we were there (it was about 2-3pm) when we reached IFC I asked the friendly attendant where Tim Ho Wan was - we were told to go down one level and then another level - and that it was on the MTR building.   So I followed his instructions.

Gosh, this was the tricky part because - well, there were so many escalators going on different directions that I didn't know which to take!  We were going around the IFC Mall and getting lost for about 15 minutes, when finally - we were led to the right path given the right directions.  We were honestly very reluctant as we were tired from all the non-sense 'lost' walking - but then, tada!  We found it!  It was just below the Check-In counters of the Central Station!  Argh....



When we got there, the place was already full.  I saw that people were falling in line and then I just followed.  But then I remembered, I knew that they had a queueing system.  So I asked the foreigners in front of me and they were just as confused as me and were lining up.  Good thing that the people around us knew how to speak in English and told us to wave to a waiter so that he can issue us a paper with a number on it!  And so we did.  Hahaha!!  In less than 5 minutes, we were seated in a common table. 



The food was as usual very good.  I mean for the price that you're paying - they're very much worth it.  I was disappointed though that I didn't get to order the lotus leaf glutinous rice.  It was crossed out in our menu, so I thought it wasn't available.  Turns out - it was available!  But we were too full already.

The price point is really good if you ask me (HKD28.00 up) because most of the dimsum places that I go to (in HK) costs about HKD40.00 and up for an order.  So in Tim Ho Wan, the value for money is really well spent!  Thing is, during peak hours - you'd really need to fall in line and wait for a long time.


Tim Ho Wan
IFC Central Station
MTR Buidling L1
(it's just below the City Check-In counters)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w