Skip to main content

Hoping for the best..

I was really excited to post my RAVE on the restaurant Al Dente. I even took pictures, even if they were amateur - I was proudly going to post them here. Unfortunately, I had some bad news given to me late yesterday afternoon. And so I have to postpone that post.

My good friend Cubie - who's based in Hong Kong - has stage 4 cancer. I was and still am in shock. When my brother called to give me the news - I was in shock. As soon as I put down on the phone - I cried so hard and immediately called Cubie. And within a few seconds - she indeed confirmed that she was diagnosed with Lymphomatoid Granulomatosis - and it was already in Stage 4 and that it has spread to her chest, her lungs especially. The news broke my heart in so many pieces. I couldn't stop crying - I was inconsolable. I couldn't believe that she has cancer - she just celebrated her 27th birthday last February 21, 2007. She's so young!!

What happened? With the few minutes we spent on the mobile - she was so calm in telling me what happend. We have been email-ing one another and she's been telling me that she has been feeling tired lately - we thought that it might be because of her being overworked. Then lately her face and neck were swollen - she went to 4 doctors and they just dismissed it as allergies. Then one morning - she couldn't open her eyes and she felt a lump in her neck - she was then admitted to the hospital. They did tests on her, she had an MRI, a CT Scan and a biospy - it was then confirmed that she has cancer. The cancer has spread to her lungs. She will undergo a full body scan today - to check where the cancer has spread. We're all praying and hoping for the best for her.

I cried when I called my mom to tell her the news - I was crying so hard, I can't believe this was happening - I was in denial - I am still in shock. My Panget was also in shock. Cubie's such a good friend of mine - we've been friends since Kindergarten - and it's so nice that through the years - we're still close. She moved to Hong Kong last 1999 - and when she moved there - we became more close. I would ALWAYS visit her when I was in Hong KOng, we'd always meet up tp shop or eat out - we spent time together. We kept in touch via email and chat. And whenever she comes to Manila - we'd always go out to dinner and go shopping - it's a must that we see one another. My mom would even cook dinner for her and we always had her favorite Mango Cream Pie from Red Ribbon. I would send her packages like her favorite Combos and other items when I have friends or aunts who go to HK. There was even a time she stayed at my house for a couple of days during her stays. What I will NEVER EVER FORGET is that - she won a trip for me to Hong KOng via Cathay PAcific. Yes, she did - she won me a ticket last 2002. Who would have thought she'd win that ticket? The odds were enourmous! Imagine - the whole of Hong Kong - and she won me one! Sweet huh?! Yes, of course! I stayed with her in her family's pad in Sha Tin for a week. We were so relaxed! We stayed up late just exchanging stories. We had so much fun! Although we had moments of silence - we enjoyed each others company. When we felt tired from walking - we'd go into a Pizza Hut and order soup. I think we did that more than 5 times!

I really can't believe this is happening. I am still in disbelief.

Please pray for her. It will surely help.

Comments

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! Be strong and take care! I will say a prayer for your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joey! Thanks, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w