Skip to main content

#CookingQuest: Chicken Stir Fry

When I was little, I used to see my mom, guama and aunt cook in the kitchen.  I found it amazing, that they have this idea in their heads on what to cook for us.  I remember my guama had small bits of plastic that when opened contained shirmp and cooked pork fat.  I asked her what it was for, and she told me that it was to add 'flavor' to the dish whatever it was.  I don't remember seeing her look at any cook book or a paper with recipe.  She just whipped them all up!



When I got older, I became interested in baking - baking because I was afraid of splattering oil.  So I stuck to baking for a while.  It was only when I got married that I had to dive in and cook.  When my Panget and I were newly married, we didn't have a helper during the weekend, so I had to step up.  There were times that we didn't have a helper at all (we borrowed my mom's helper to clean), so I had to do all the cooking.  It was there that I learned to whip something up with just ingredients that I saw in the ref, pantry and kitchen.  There was no clear cut recipe as I was winging it all the time.  One of my favorite dishes to make is this Chicken Stir Fry, I'm sharing my recipe!

Chicken Stir Fry

1 large onion sliced (you can use smaller onions, but I like onions kasi)
2 cloves Garlic (pounded, I honestly use more because I like garlic!)
Cut up chicken fillets (I prefer thighs, but you can use breast fillets)
Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce
Shao Xing Wine
Cornstarch 

I don't have exact measurements so just wing it!

Step 1
In a bowl, put the cut up chicken, add a little cornstarch maybe a teaspoon to coat the chicken (my mom taught me this, she says the chicken becomes softer - and it does! Plus it thickens the sauce!), 
Pour the Lee Kum Kee Premium Soy Sauce (maybe 1 Tablespoon?) and also a tablespoon of Shao Xing wine.  Mix it up and set aside.

Step 2
Heat your pan with oil, then cook the onions.
You can cook it through and through, or you can wait a minute or so.  I like my onions with a bite, so after counting 30 seconds, I add the chicken with the marinade.

Step 3
Stir fry, just keep on stiring it.
You will notice that the chicken might be dry - you can add more soy sauce and shao xing wine.  Taste and add so you'll know when to stop. 
Don't worry about it being salty, it wont' be as the recipe didn't call of any salt.  
I usually add more soy sauce and wine


Step 4
Add the pounded garlic.
Stir fry some more, maybe a minute.

Serve and enjoy!!

I like how I didn't need to add salt to the dish because the soy sauce more than made up for it.  As for the sweetness, it was balanced by the shao xing wine.  Easy peasy, right?

For variation, you can use pork and you may also add red/green bell peppers
You may season with black pepper if you like




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w