Skip to main content

Play for Real with Johnson & Johnson

When I was young, I remember going to my grandparent's house to play with my cousins.  We would be running around in the garden, setting up tents and enjoying ourselves.  As the years passed and technology reached new heights - we had game boys, family computers and desktops.  But I have to say, nothing beats playing for real - running around, sweating it out under the sun and using our hands and whatever material we can find around to play with - it was a different high.

A few weeks ago, the kids experienced this same high with their friends.  We learned about the importance of real play where all five senses were used.  I never thought about it actually that when kids are playing for real, using their hands all sweaty and dirty - that they actually use all their senses!  For me it was all about exercising - letting them sweat it out and practicing running and improving their motor skills!  It was an eye opener that even through real play - kids are able to use their senses and learn in the process.  Why didn't I think of that?  I guess I was too much into them learning numbers and letters that I didn't notice really that kids learn through playing, #playforreal








I guess I was KJ too because I didn't want to make a mess or dirty the kids!  Haha..


When my Panget and I had Kailee, we agreed to limit her gadget play.  We knew it was inevitable and we've been hearing so much that iPad apps helps kids learn faster and easier.  But even if there are benefits, we decided to limit gadget play however inevitable it was - and so far, so good!  We encourage both kids to play and sweat it out.  So every afternoon, they have a *real* activity at home.  They help water the plants, and then ride their bikes and scooters.  I would see them having so much fun, squealing with delight, for them - there is just so many things to do!  When they go back in the house, they're tired but the expressions in their faces are priceless - it was genuine happiness!  Even if the activity was simple, they would go on and on with tales on what they did.  It was quite rewarding to be honest.  I would think that they'd get bored - but no, everyday was a different thing.  I guess as kids, their imaginations are working double time.

I was reminded that kids enjoy themselves more when they #playforreal thus, I realized that I needed to remind myself that I should spend time to prepare them simple activities.  I guess, I take for granted materials that is available around the house.  The simplest sensory activity is when they take a bath.  I used to always reprimand them not to play with water - but then I realized, why not let them have fun in the bath.  Extend their bath times - use home made toys as boats, or better yet -play with those J&J shampoo bottles!  I have a confession - the kids, they use the Johnson and Johnson shampoo as bubbles - it's amazing how much bubbles they make!  Hahaha..  This is one of the reasons why my Panget always asks me why I buy so much J&J shampoo for the kids!! Hihi.. (secret's out!)

Whenever we travel with Kailee, we make sure that we have an activity just for her.  Take for example our recent trip to Paris - we took her to the Louvre and as expected with children her age - she got so bored.  But right after, we brought her to a play area along the Seine river.  I think we spent a good hour just watching her play and enjoying the play area.  She was a bit shy with the other kids, but nevertheless - she enjoyed herself.







Whenever she sees a playground, her eyes would light up and point to the playground.  She would ask us nicely if she can play there and we would happily stop and let her enjoy herself.  It was like a welcome rest for me and my Panget while we watch her play.  I guess I wish there were more *clean* playgrounds here in the country.

Thank you J&J for showing us and reminding us that when kids #playforreal they learn more life lessons.  Touching, Seeing, Tasting, Smelling and Hearing.  I promise to not cringe when I see the kids dirty.  Hahaha!  We are very excited with making more sensory activities at home!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w