Skip to main content

#BetterMe: A Session with Coach Pia

I am honored (and kilig) to have been invited by Kris of OC Mom in Manila to join them in their BetterMe sessions with Coach Pia a few weeks ago.



The session was all about The Art of Co-Parenting:  Raising a Child as a Team.

This was very timely for me - as I am a fairly new mom (Kailee just turned 2.5yo) and raising her, well - challenges me and my Panget a lot.  We actually never discussed the specifics but we agreed on the 'good cop/bad cop' set up, and so far, we haven't had any situation that called for it.  Kailee has been good so far, I mean yeah - she would have her tantrums once in a while, but it wasn't something of a big issue for us.

While listening to Coach Pia speak and share, I realized so many things about myself and my background.  My background as it turns out, has a big influence on how I have decided to raise my kids.  What I have been accustomed to - well, that doesn't necessarily translate into the right way or method.  And what I learned is that there are other methods available, there are other ways, a different perspective of some sort.  But, I know one thing for sure and that is I want to be become a better parent to my kids.


I took home a LOT of learnings, but these six had the most impact on me:

1)  Empathize with each child - I know that our little ones have feelings, but I never knew that it should be something I really should consider.  Coach Pia suggested asserting certain 'use words' in situations like 'I know you are not doing it on purpose (but you will hit the vase at the back)'  I tried this on Kailee when I got home - and I was amazed on its effectiveness.  I now use this line all the time - and the results are incredible!

2)  Be open and sensitive to your child's needs - like the previous one, we should always consider the feelings of our little ones.  Even if they're young, they have feelings to that we should consider and take into consideration.  Our kids also feel let down at times and so we need to be more sensitive to their needs.

3)  Speak to other people who can give you more information - To understand situations better - we can speak to teachers, counselors, siblings, friends or other relatives to learn from them.  I think that we have to admit that we are not perfect and that we can learn to adapt with learning from others. 

4)  Have an encouraging UNITED front - I used to be a believer in the 'good cop/bad cop' set up and this opened my eyes that labeling a good cop and a bad cop only encourages bad impressions to our kids.  It is just now that I realized that our kids will forever remember us being 'together' in our decisions.  That no one parent can be bribed through lambing or whatever means.  (Hahaha!)

5)  Provide a healthy space for your child to develop into the best individual they can be (and not a shadow of their parents' needs and wants) - I know its hard to let go, but we need to let our kids grow - of course, with proper guidance.  I think we have the tendency to want our kids to succeed in the aspects where we have failed.

6)  Find that Inner Calm - stay calm amidst the ambiguity.  I know its hard, but that's the way it should be.  Its the same as having faith (if you ask me)


This session made me realize that we all have hang ups as parents.  We carry with us happy memories, scars and learning from our own respective families and backgrounds.  We just have to realize that our journey to becoming better parents is never ending.  There is no one specific route - but there are countless of roads to take and different journeys to make us better.  I also learned that communication - whatever medium is so very important to a better relationship.

I enjoyed this #BetterMe #Session with the #SoMoms.  This session made me aware that there are other people who would like to help, who would share their passion and reach out to others so that the others may learn from them.  Thank you for organizing a session like this, it is very very helpful and insightful. 

Thank you Kris!
Thank you Janice!
Thank you SoMoms!

And THANK YOU Coach Pia!

I had a wonderful, wonderful inspiring time.

P.S.  This was really a #BetterMe session.  And it was so nice to meet the SoMoms and SoDad in the flesh!  Its comforting to know that they have become more than just online buddies that share a passion. Thank you for your warmth guys!!  I really appreciate it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w