Skip to main content

Yaya Diaries: Guidelines for Yaya Interviews

You can read more about my Yaya Diaries at THIS link.

I'm sharing with you guys the guidelines that I have made in interviewing yayas.  This is not a foolproof way, but just a guide.  When I was looking for a yaya, I didn't have this, I made this up to help out friends.  I thought that this is one way to pay it forward and help new moms.  I apologize for the Tag-Lish language.. Hihi..

I hope you get to use this or at least help you guys narrow out what you need to ask.  Remember that there are some yayas who interview very well, but can't perform.  It's really a trial and error if you ask me, so Good Luck!

If you have suggestions or added insights, please feel free to add them at the comment section!  



1.  Ilan taon ka na?  May asawa?  Ilan ang anak?  Nasan ang pamilya?
-  You must decide how old you want your yaya to be.  A young yaya may not know many things, but an old yaya might have a hard time with the sleepless nights.  Kami we had an age limit we put the bar at 40.  Feeling kasi naman kung older than 40 baka mahirapan na with the demands of the a newborn baby.
-  Ask for their age, then ask for the year they were born.  You'll see here if they're lying or not.  Interchange it a bit if you're not convinced.
-  Ask if they're married, what is the work/trabaho of the husband?  (Married yayas have baggage - meaning kapag nag-away minsan nadadala ang emotion sa trabaho)
-  Ask if they have kids - ask for the ages and where they are?  (Yaya's kids can also be considered as baggage - if the kid is sick, immediately aalis yan to take care of her kid if she lives in the Metro)
-  If the pamilya is in the province - at least may peace of mind ka na hindi siya aalis basta basta (kasi kelangan pa nila magtravel to go home)

B.  Gaano ka katagal sa huli mong amo?
-  If they say a few months, magtaka ka na.  Ask why they only stayed a few months?
-  If they say years - then ask why they left?  Nagkaron ba ng problem?  Why leave after all these years?
-  Ask if they took care of a newborn.  Ask how many new borns they've taken cared of and for how long.  (Pag sinabing nakapag-alaga ng mga niece and nephews - iba yon ha!  Haha)

C.  Ilan na ang naging amo mo?
-  You'll see with this question KUNG tumatagal ba siya sa work niya or hindi
-  If tumatagal - then you MIGHT have a keeper
-  If papalit-palit - then you might have a tempo yaya in the works, may reason yan kung bakit ganon siya.  Wala siyang staying power.
-  Ask for the names of her previous employers and their numbers (so you can verify diba?  no harm in calling them up to ask)  One of the most common reasons I hear recently is that 'Nag-Abroad na po ang amo ko' I think they are taught to answer that so that the have a clean slate.
-  Pansinin mo if the yaya badmouths her former employer - verify mo kung totoo.  


D.  Ano ang sakop ng trabaho mo?
-  Yaya SHOULD take care of the baby, bathe, feed, clean, put to sleep, play and interact with baby.  Yaya should also launder clothes of the baby, clean the room and the bathroom.  Anything baby related should be tasked to the yaya.
-  Some yayas say that they don't do laundry or clean the room.  I don't think this is right - as if naman 24/7 naka-tutok siya kay baby!
-  Regarding the laundry - they CAN argue that they can't leave the baby - you can counter with 'pwede ka naman maglaba sa bathroom ni baby at bumaba nalang para magsampay (tinuro yan ng yaya ko sa akin!  Hahaha)
-  She also should share some responsibilities around the house like wash her dishes and her clothes too!
-  Most yayas now have a cellphone attached to their hips.  Tell her that when she's taking care of the baby - WALANG CELLPHONE.  My first yaya was grabe while Kailee was crying NAKIKIPAGUSAP PA SA CELLPHONE!! Grrr....

E.  Magkano ang sweldo na inaasahan mo? 
-  Running rate daw is 7K and above BUT for me its highway robbery - UNLESS super duper galing siya.  Super Yaya in other words
-  You can start at 5k to 6K and tell her na you can increase naman based on her performance
-  Determine if you'll give her SSS, Phil Health and Pag-ibig (I personally give them this - ever since 2011)  This is a REQUIREMENT already so you really need to comply
-  DO NOT ASK kung ilang day off gusto nila. SOP is 1 day off a month lang.  Some kasi have 2 days off na balikan, may iba na 1 day off na overnight.  Pag overnight kasi - paano si baby diba?  Ask your relatives and friends on their thoughts on days off.  With my yaya - I give her 2 days off na balikan (she has to be back by 6pm the latest), hindi naman niya inaabuso and minsan ayaw pa niya mag day off kasi gastos daw.  According to the KB Law, KBs are allowed 1-24hrs day off weekly.  What I do is since the minimum is only 2,500.00 I tell her I'd give her more IF 1's a month lang day off niya..  Haggle nalang?
-  Lay the cards if you're willing to give advances/vale, I don't kasi eh..  

There are other factors that I learned that I needed to know - I realized this when I was on a Coach Pia session with the #SoMoms.  Here's a link to my learning with the Coach Pia session on Building Relationships with your Househelp.

Good Luck fellow Mommies!!


P.S.  For all my Yayas/Helpers I require them to have the following:
a)  Picture (if they don't have one - I have them go to the nearest Kodak place to get one. I usually ask them to have a 2x2 and 1x1 picture)
b)  I also ask them to fill up a bio-data/application form
c)  Xerox of their birth certificate which after 2 months, I require them to have an NSO copy (for SSS, PhilHealth and Pag-Ibig) If the yaya doesn't have this - I don't get them.

Comments

  1. Masyado pa ring malaki ang 5k to 6k starting I start at 3k then periodically increase. My yaya of 5 years left nasa 5k na sueldo then nung bumalik sya I told her she'll start at 3k again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leirs! IKR, pero the ones na nahahanap ko are those rates!! I wish nga merong 3K lang eh...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w