Skip to main content

My love for writing..

I love to write.

Literally.

As you know, I have a collection of pens.  And I use them, all the time.  I scribble, I doodle, I write.  But really - I write, on paper, on scratch paper, on notebooks, on stationary.  Looking back, I was thinking - who or what made me start writing?  To be honest, I remember being in HS, and I think it was my friend Kathlyn.  She was what you call very poetic.  She kept a journal filled with poems.  I think during sophomore year in ICA, we were all encouraged to write, we were made to make a journal out of notebook that our teachers would check on weekly.  I think as a teacher - I'm sure a LOT of students didn't participate while others, well - they found their knack for writing.  I found out that I had so many things to say, but I couldn't say it out loud.  So I kept journals.  Journals that I valued and treasured.  Mind you, I bought fancy notebooks to write on - and I kept them.  Until Typhoon Ondoy struck - now goodbye to the volumes of journals I made during my teens.

I then started this blog in 2005.  As an outlet of my writing.  I think I was internalizing Doogie Howser, MD.  The PC with the first ever font, typing his thoughts and realizations.  I felt the same way to be honest - and I do still feel the same!  Hahaha..  If you were born in the 80's I'm sure you know who Doogie Howser, MD was.  So I was internalizing that TV character -  I started just blabbing away, typing away my thoughts, feelings and experiences.  I never thought that I would still be here, still writing, still blogging.  But I am.  And I am thankful.  Very thankful.

Writing has kept me sane through the years.  Whenever I as feeling down - I would just start typing and I would type as long as I can until I felt good.  Whenever I was happy, I wanted to write - I wanted to document things, when I was sad - my thoughts wanted to come out and so I typed away, reasoning with myself in words.  It was just then that I realized that words are very very important.  They helped me express so much of my feelings - good or bad.  Writing was my medium.

I was not encouraged to write, in fact - I was laughed at, at times because I was told that there was no money in writing.  But I never dreamed to having it as a career - I thought of writing as a way of expression but don't get me wrong - I admired people who made it their career.  Journalist, novelists - wow.  If I can just pick their brains!

I think people started noticing that I had 'skills' in writing when the Friendster Testimonials were the in thing.  Years after that, and years after I started blogging - I had my first ever published work - it was a narration of my experience in Hong Kong, and it was published in the Manila Bulletin.  My mom was so proud of me, that she texted all of her friends to read it!  I have kept a copy of it here in the house - as a remembrance.  I wish though, that I can find a link of that article in Manila Bulletin's archive - I am still requesting for it, but I guess it's gone.

So, why am I doing this particular post?  Simply put, I make this post now - to encourage whoever reads it - that writing is not something that's embarrassing to do.  Writing is very powerful.  Words are very powerful.  You can change the world with the use of words - Jose Rizal started a revolution with the pen, and as they say - it's mightier than the sword, and I so believe that.  Not everyone has the talent to write.  If you do, hone it, practice, learn, share and most of all, document it.  You will see how much you have matured by the way you write - by the way you use words.  I honestly was cringe-ing when I was back reading my blog posts!  Hahaha..

Remember - your thoughts matter.  You are important.  So find your inspiration and start typing/writing!

Love, Didi

What inspired me to do this post? It's reading this article by my friend's son:
http://www.globalyouthjournal.com/ten-things-i-know-to-be-true/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w