Skip to main content

Cooking Quest: Steamed Milk

When I tried Yee Shun's steamed milk - it piqued my interest.  I wondered how they were able to make this kind of dish - so silky, soft and flavorful.  The cashier (who I assumed is the owner) was very friendly - I told her that I loved the steamed milk  and that it was very very good - she smiled and said that it's just milk and eggs!  She was so proud of their product and I guess the simplicity of it too!

I got curious and researched.  I found a recipe and tried to replicated it.  I got the basics right on the first try, but then I found the consistency too firm, I wanted it to be more silky so I tweaked the recipe and found the consistency that I liked.  The I realized, I may need to use a scale in weighing the ingredients for it to be more consistent.  I will do that on my next try.

So here is the finished product.


It may not look as nice and taste the same - but in my books, it's good enough!
I want to keep trying to make it.


Here is what my steamer looked like.  I was so excited, that I waited and waited.  Hahaha!!!  I kept on looking at it and opening it!  Hahaha..  



Here is the recipe:

Steamed Milk

1 cup of Whole/Full Cream Milk (I tried Skimmed and it didn't work! Haha..)
2 Tablespoons of White Sugar
1 egg white of 1 egg
Bowls
Cling Wrap

Steamer

Procedure:
1.  Dissolve the sugar in the milk
2.  Heat the milk and bring to a boil
3.  Strain the milk and let it cool
4.  Whisk the eggwhites
5.  Slowly pour the egg whites to the milk mixture
6.  Pour the egg and milk mixture on the bowl (try a shallow bowl first)
7.  Cover the bowl with cling wrap
8.  Put in the steamer for 15 minutes

You can serve this hot - it will be very silky or serve it cold it will be silky but more *firm*

Good luck!!

Comments

  1. Thanks for this recipe did! Kaya ba ung steamer sa rice cooker Lang?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious! Will try! I always see a milk store on Nathan. It is on the left side of the A21 bus going back to the airport. Is that it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo to skim milk! Hahaha! Whole milk all the way! Parang ok to ah. I want to try chocolate steamed milk din

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FREE Movie passes to FESTIVAL MALL CINEMAS!

This month, I am celebrating my blog's 5th anniversary! To start the month right, I am giving away eight (8) movie passes to Festival Mall Cinemas!! All you need to do is leave a comment. Any comment will do! Just include your name and email address so I can contact you in case you win!! You can join as many times as you want.  Winner will be picked via Random.org. This is a winner take all contest, so only one winner will get to have all the eight (8) movie passes! Contest will run from today until the end of the week - November 6, 2010 at 11:59pm Manila time.  I will be announcing the winner on Sunday - November 7, 2010! Good luck!!

the canDIshhh tales : 10th BLOGniversary GIVEAWAY!!

10 years is, WOW! Unbelievable. So, to celebrate my 10th year of blogging today - I'm doing a GIVEAWAY hosted by my favorite brands!! :)  This is just one way of me saying THANK YOU to ALL of my readers and to ALL the brands that have given me their trust and support! Here are just some of the stuff that I will be giving away!! The coveted 2016 Starbucks Moleskine Planner ! Starbucks Beverage Coupons! Melissa Slip-Ons!! K-Pallete stuff I got in Tokyo! GIFT PACKS from the following brands: Serenitea GCs Sevilla Sausage packs Paper Chic Studio  the Bento Mommas Clorox, Glad & Pinesol Philippines Vikings Luxury Buffet GC for 2 Lysol Philippines House of Praise CDs I will make this giveaway really really SIMPLE for everyone!  Just follow do the Rafflecopter instruction and most importantly, leave the following details on the comment section below .  One comment entry PER p...

Blog Anniversary Giveaway!

For my blog's 5th anniversary, I'm giving away goodies - and it's a winner take ALL! Image borrowed from THIS site Thank you for eavesdropping for five years. I hope you enjoyed and is still enjoying reading my whatever things! THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! Here's the loot: 12 - J&J Mini Body Lotions 1 - Carmex Lip Balm 2 - The Face Shop Masks 1 - Amu'in Insect Repellant 1 - Amu'in Body Mist Joining is really simple: 1)   Leave the following details on the comment section of this post:      a)  Greet me!! :)      b)  Your name      c)  Your email address ( a valid email address please!)      d)  Share this message to your social networking site:  Facebook, Twitter, Plurk, Friendster, Etc.   Blog Anniversary Giveaway!   http://candishhh.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-anniversary-giveaway.html 2)   Kindly complete the details above - re...