Skip to main content

Hair Coloring with Herbatint!

I didn't know that I was very conscious of my white hair until they started appearing!  I used to have a really nice jet black hair.  No signs of white hair at all - and I was so proud of that.  Then in the recent years, well - I guess with age came the white hair strands here and there.  Before when it was only a few strands, I would pull them out and even keep them for sentimental purposes.

But now, the number seemed to grow exponentially.  I have baby hairs that are white and they are very very visible.  I felt so conscious.  I realized, this was the reason why my parents always have a box of hair dye in the house.  I used to think it was shallow - but you know what, when it happened to ME.  It's not shallow anymore.  Hahaha!



There are quite a few things that I dislike with DIY hair dyes - one is the strong scent and the other - the sting that you feel on your scalp once you put the product on your hair (and it touches the scalp).  I really really really dislike the smell, most if not all have this very strong sharp scent that *pricks* my nostrils.  I am not a newbie when it comes to hair dyes, as I have been always the go to person of my mom when she needed to dye her hair.  So, you can say that I assumed that hair dyes always have this sharp scent.  I was used to it, so it was the norm for me when it came to DIY hair color.

Recently, I noticed that my white hairs were becoming very very visible.  My Panget noticed too that it was getting quite a lot.  I was surprised when he told me, as he's not the type to say anything actually.  So when he told me, I automatically became conscious.  Just as I was contemplating on which brand to try (there are a lot of new ones around) I suddenly received a package - it was two boxes of the Herbatint Permanent Hair Color!

It was meant to be.

And so that night, I made sure to try it.

Confession - I only dye my roots.  Hahaha!  Since I have long hair, I felt it was too much work for me to do it myself.  But then - I was getting really tired of seeing my unmatched hair color.  So I decided - to use the whole box for my long hair.  I was honestly contemplating - but then I said to myself - do it now, since I had time in my hands.  And I did.

I was not able to take pictures as I was having a very difficult time maneuvering.  I was a one man team.  I had asked my Panget to help, but instead I felt that I would be doing it more correctly than instructing him to do this and that.  Hahaha!  Sorry, Panget!

It was quite a challenge to be honest, but you know what - I pulled through!  I was so proud of myself!  I was able to dye my own hair and not just the roots!

It was quite easy - the mixing of the product, it was getting the gel solution to my whole hair that was quite the challenging thing to me.  Since I have long hair - I had to use a protective cover so as not to stain my house clothes.  Since I didn't have the *coat* what I used instead was an apron to my back!   When the kids saw it they were teasing me that I had a cape on and that I was some sort of super hero!  Hahaha.. Kids, talaga noh?

This is the box and the contents:

Note that there are no plastic tube (which I was accustomed to) nor a brush for application.

Mixing the two gels was quite easy.  I used a glass bowl so there won't be staining.  The bottles had measurements on the side, so you'll know how much product to use.  This is quite nice since the pack can be used for 2 applications.  Just follow the lines and voila - nothing is wasted!  It was nice to see that after you mix the two liquids together it becomes a dark color.  It says in the box that the color of the mixed gel is not an indicator of the result after application.  I laughed when I saw this because, as you know people have this tendency to overreact.  Haha!!   Application took about 20 minutes. Would you believe that the gel did not cause any stinging in the scalp?  NO STING!  Great, right?  I decided to use the whole box since I wanted to even out the color of my hair.  And  I was being thorough too - especially on the roots and on the baby hairs that were very visible.  I had to make sure they're all covered as it will defeat the purpose of what I was doing in the first place when I see white hairs.  After applying the gel and endless combing, I twisted my hair in a bun and clamped it.  I also wore a shower cap.

Then I pressed the timer on my Fitbit.

I looked at it every so often because I was excited and curios on the result of the coloring.  I waited oh sooooo patiently.  When finally the 40 minutes were up, I saw that around my face - there were brown spots.  Aya!  I forgot to wipe off the drops!  Hahaha..  Good thing a hairspray trick did it's job.  Yehey!

So I showered.

The water from my hair was colored green!  I was honestly scared at first, but then I remembered what I read - that the color of the gel is not the same as the result.  Hahaha!  I used the shampoo and the cream conditioner included in the box.

A very happy observation - my hair was not very tough when I was shampooing it.  In my experience with other brands (and other methods of coloring), the hair is usually very tough (matigas), but with  Permanent Hair Color, it was not tough and it didn't feel brittle at all.  It wasn't very soft, but it was soft enough for me to notice the difference.

I used a blow drier to dry my hair - I don't usually do that anymore - but I really wanted to see and feel the difference.  After blow drying my hair - it was soft and it didn't have that very sharp scent.  It had a faint scent that was negligible.

Here is the result:





Look, no more white hair!  Yehey!  My whites were all covered and they're a shade of brown now.  I'm so happy that my hair has now a uniform color!

Herbatint is available in all Healthy Options stores.  Price wise, I think its a little over P1,000.00, quite pricey - but if you read the label - it's plant based so it's safer than most brands.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w