Skip to main content

Giving up RICE

There are some people who gave up eating meat because they're Vegans, while some because of religion, and others - well, because they made a sacrifice. I on the otherhand, am giving up eating RICE. Now, why rice? Well, mainly because I love eating rice - I am a rice kind of gal. I was contemplating on what to sacrifice actually, and when I thought of meats - well, I'm not that fond of meats - beef or pork, Chicken is too small of a thing to be sacrificed - it will look like I am on a diet. As for the meats, well - since I don't look for them often, I don't think it will be a big sacrifice. Thus I decided to give up eating rice.

I've been successful so far, well actually I'm on my 6th day today (and counting!). So far so good, but yesterday morning and yesterday's lunch time were the worst. My mom you see is a very good cook. She just made Kiam Peng (salty rice as it is literally translated in enlgish) - it's the a rice dish with pork, hebi (small shrimps), mushrooms, veggies, and zticky (malagkit) rice. I think its best known as Glutinous Rice in english - although I think our suman is also called glutinous rice. And I couldn't eat it! I was being chided to just sample a spoonful, but I had to be in control - I had to decline. Even if the smell was killing me (literally) I had to think of the reason why I sacrificed in the first place - and that was enough. Of course, there was the temptation - the voice in my head whispering and telling me to grab even just a spoonfull.

At first I was thought that it would be easy - simple, well - I thought wrong! I won't be able to eat suman, ma-chang, kaim peng, rissotto, paella, congee, and I think the list will go on and on. Damn, why didn't I think it through?! It was as if everything I wanted to eat I couldn't! Like for example last night. I was with my Panget at UCC Greenhills - it was my first time there for a decent meal, I mostly go there for dessert or for coffee. But last night, since there were available parking slots - my Panget decided that UCC was the place to have dinner. As I looked through the menu - my gosh - the entrees were all with rice! There were numerous rice toppings, even those dishes with rice on the side. I was really tempted to get the Rissotto, my head was already making up excuses for me to order it! Like it's not really rice, it's considered as pasta and so on. But again, my determination prevailed. I ordered the Eel & Mushroom spaghetti instead. I was satisfied with the pasta, it wasn't the best dish but it was okay.

The place was really under staffed, it was quite obvious because we had to wait for our meals and requests for water a little longer than usual. And since I accidentally put more pepper than I ought to, to my dish - it was a bit too spicy for me. I appreciate spice, but only on occassion. I asked the lady manager for some water but she was kind of busy attending other store matters. So I got up and went to the bar to fetch some badly needed water, and upon pouring my water - I heard her running towards me and she instantly helped me. She apologized and I replied that it was okay - I understood her situation and it was just water! As my Panget and I finished our meals - she approached us and asked us if we wanted anything for dessert, we declined because we were already full. She smiled at us and told us not to worry, because she will be giving us a complimentary dessert. 'Nahiya naman ako sa inyo Ma'am' was what she said. Nice diba? Well, it was just perfect way to end our meal. After serving us with 2 hefty scoops of Caramel Ice Cream, she was telling us that they have been understaffed lately because the management has been giving way to the newly opened stores around the Metro. She was also telling us how she had to juggle being the cashier,waitress, receptionist one morning! At least she was nice enough to give us ice cream right? It was the perfect reward for me - for my not eating rice. hehehe..

Unfortunately, I again forgot to take images of our food!! I promise, on my next food entry, I will have pictures to show!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w