Skip to main content

#Better Me: Effects of Childhood Psycological Trauma on Parents and Kids

When you say trauma, one immediately thinks of a very bad experience that scared the bejeezuz out of you at one point.  But it's actually not - trauma means *scars* scars that we brought on by certain situations and instances.  Like say when toddlers cry - there is an emotional scar - it may be small, but it's still a scar - thus, it's called *trauma*

Last week, I was lucky enough to meet and listen to Christine Foong-Wong speak on the topic *Understanding childhood Psychological Trauma and it's effects on parents and children*  I learned so much in a short time, and I'm sure there will be more learnings if you attend her session on June 27, 2015 at the Ortigas Library.


When I first encountered the topic, I thought - wow, it's quite a heavy one to digest.  But then as Christine spoke, it made perfect sense.  We are who we are because of the experiences that shaped us.  They may be bad and they may be good - but in total - they're all life experiences.

I have to admit, when I was younger the thought of attending *Parenting* seminars was a waste of time.  I always assumed - why do I need to listen to talks?  My parents were able to raise me well and they didn't attend any talks of forums.  I had this *mayabang* thought that I didn't need help!  But when I had children of my own, it dawned on me that I wanted to become a better parent to my kids because I wanted them to be better than I am.

It was a strange realization to be honest.  Because I was used to the set up that *Parents are always right, no matter what*  but then I realized that I want my children to be better people.  And if I want my kids to become better people, then I have to become a better parent myself.  I think I admitted to the fact that life is a continuing learning process - and I wanted to make less mistakes when it comes to parenting so I was really open to the idea of listening to talks and attending seminars.  It was pure luck that I got invited to #BetterMe sessions with Coach Pia.  And with just one session - OMG - it has changed my outlook and how I relate to my kids.

Last week, was an eye opener - really.  I listened to Christine Foong-Wong speak on the topic *Understanding the effects of Psychological Trauma on parents and children*  I thought I was doing alright,  I mean armed with the skills and techniques I learned from lecturers.  I was confident, but what I didn't know was - there were MORE things to learn, more topics to touch on.  I know growing up, we've learned to take in the good and leave out the bad things that we learned from our parents.  I personally swore that I will be careful with the words I use around my kids.  But that wasn't enough.  Words apparently aren't enough.  I was surprised to learn that emotions can be passed on too!  Can you believe it trauma can be passed on to up to the 3rd generation?  Who would have thought that your grandparent's trauma may have cause you to be a certain way?  It was such an eye opener.  Kids we have always thought are resilient - I mean, I always thought that when it comes to kids - they're not aware, but apparently - they are!  They can't explain it but they feel it and it scars them - it causes psychological trauma.  And this trauma they carry for the rest of their lives - unless, it's dealt with.  We have been so used to *coping* with the situations thrown our way, and thus - we develop a defense mechanism of sort, to deal with certain situations.  It's not wrong, but there is a reason why it happens.  Why do we always need to cope?  Why do we always need to protect ourselves?  To understand yourself better - ask yourself this  *WHAT HAPPENED TO ME WHEN I WAS YOUNG?*  For sure you'll understand yourselves better.

What impacted me the most was when Christine said that - memories are sometimes suppressed, because of the trauma we experienced, these memories are hidden.  But what we don't know is that - when we forget certain memories - our bodies never forget them.  There is an instant *recall* when we're told of certain events.  I never thought of it that way.  I guess that's one of the reasons why whenever I hear of a certain topic of conversation - I suddenly just cry with no apparent reason!  I may need go deep and ask myself - what happened to me when I was young!

This session was very enlightening for me.  I would love to join her workshop unfortunately - I have prior commitments.  But in case you are interested - I promise you, this will be worth your time and money.  It's one step closer to your journey as a better parent to your child.  Click on THIS LINK to sign up.  Their rate now is P8,000.00 for 2 people already.  Actually - it's P8,000.00 for one person but you can bring one (1) friend.  So in short - it's a 2 for 1 deal.  Hehehe..

Thank you to Harvey & Manila Fashion Observer, Spectrum Education and Baron 3 Garden Residences for this opportunity to hear Christine Foong Wong speak.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w