Skip to main content

Domestic Violence & Abuse against Women

When you say Domestic Violence and Abuse the first thing that comes in mind is when a husband beats up a wife.  Through the years of being married, I realized it's not the only way that *abuse & violence* happens in a marriage.  There's verbal abuse, emotional & psychological abuse, economic abuse, sexual abuse and a whole lot more.  Apparently, its not confined to just physical abuse.



I personally know of two people who are victims of domestic violence & abuse.  And one thing I learned from them is that they didn't think people would believe them when they said their were victims of domestic violence and abuse.  They didn't know where to go, who to speak to or if people around them would believe them.  I felt really sad and bad because why would people not believe them?  They both told me it was because their husbands do not look the part of an abusive husband.  Are we all confined to what looks normal and abnormal to gauge if a person has the tendency or capability of abuse?  I hope that we have not - but in reality, it's true.  We base our judgements on the looks - do they look normal or harmless?  Well, in short - I realized one can pretend.  I mean come on, why would you want people to know and see a person's violent tendecies, diba?

Okay - being married for almost 7 years taught me not to judge married couples.  Each couple has their own problems.  Obviously, we don't air our dirty laundry in public, but what I learned is that what we see is not what usually is the real situation.  Some married couples are very good in *pretending*, but when they're alone in the privacy of their own homes - that's where the truth exists.
Most of us are usually hands off saying *Problemang mag-asawa yan / It's a domestic issue* and that we're not supposed to meddle.  I want to know - how and when do we draw the line?  I know we SHOULD draw the line, but how and when?

I remember being told to run as fast as I can when a partner starts hitting you.  That's what the mind knows and says.  But what does the heart say?  The heart says to forgive them when they say they're sorry.  But if happens again - and you forgive them again.  The cycle is endless and I feel that it has to end.  But it's not as easy as it sounds.  Doing it entails a lot of thinking, courage, physical strength and determination.  There are so many considerations - if there are kids, well - that decision will be harder.

If you're a victim the first thing you need to know is that - IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.  The next thing you do is to keep track or record every abuse that happens to you.  I know it's morbid, but friends say this helps a lot when you file a case against your partner.  Take pictures of your injuries (with dates), keep track of everything, collect proof - more so, go to the ER and get a Medico Legal look at you.  I don't know if there is any truth to this - but please correct me if I'm wrong - I was told that when a Medico Legal looks at you and determines the injuries, you have 24 hours to file a case or else it goes down the drain.  (I honestly find it silly)

I was also told that the law *Violence against women and children* is quite difficult to prove and takes a loooong time to move forward.  Why?  Why make it hard?  Maybe because we still belong to a very male dominated country?

--

I suddenly thought to write this, I don't know why.  I guess all the sexual innuendos of the incoming president has somehow irked me.  I know he's that type of person, but as a president-elect, he should act like one.  He should be careful with his words - I cannot emphasize enough the cliche THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK because he really should.  I am all for supporting him BUT in the correct way possible.  I am not one to judge but I can't help it with him just spewing words without thinking of the consequences.  I guess, I expected some sort of etiquette from a president-elect, some finesse maybe.  But yes, he is far from being proper - but I'm hoping that he'll be more than that.  Show a bit more class and elegance, not just crass and machismo.  So far, I am disappointed with his decisions - especially siding with the Marcoses.  I can only shake my head in disbelief that he is willing to bury him in the Libingan ng mga Bayani despite using the country's funds as is personal bank account.  #NeverAgain




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w