Skip to main content

Kailee in Kindergarten: Mercy & Compassion

First quarter is almost up.  As of the moment, Kailee is taking her quarterly exams.  She's adjusted pretty well to waking up at 5:30am to eating some breakfast (if you can call a buttered pandesal, a piece of cocktail hotdog, and cereals), playing with classmates and learning.  I am mighty proud of how she is becoming.  She's quite friendly saying *Hi* and waving to friends when I bring her to school and *Bye (insert name of classmate)* when I pick her up in school.  She remembers the names of most of her classmates and even tells me which colored table they sit it.  In my opinion, she's doing well in school.

One day though, she told me that one of her classmates told her to *Shut Up*.  I asked her why, it was because she told this classmate to keep quiet so this classmate can concentrate on her seat work.  I think I was more affected than Kailee.  In her 5 years and and 5 months of living, I've never EVER said those words to her and now a classmate of hers just did.  I realized, as much as I want to protect her from the world - there are times that I just can't.  So I asked her what she did after, she just shrugged her shoulders and continued on with her work.  It made me think, was Kailee too *pakialamera* or was she just too concerned with this classmate?  I knew she got hurt, because she was telling me this - and as much as I wanted to square off with this classmate of hers, I simply cannot.  I wanted to make her feel better, so I just hugged and kissed her.

I have this habit of sharpening her pencils everyday after school.  The school provided (well, we paid for it) her with one (1) pencil and one (1) eraser.  Just to be sure, I placed two more pencils (a different brand) inside the pencil case, you know just in case the one given by the school gets *putol* or *pudpud*.  For a few days, I noticed that all her pencils need sharpening.  I assumed well, Kailee liked her pencils sharpened pala (like me! Hahaha!!).  Then one day, I had this urge to ask her if she uses all her pencils in school.  She said she doesn't - she just uses the one given by the school.  So I said - why were the other pencils *pudpud na?*  She then said that she lends her pencils to her classmate, because this classmate doesn't have a pencil to use.  Of course, I needed to ask - why she doesn't have a pencil to use (since the school gave them one), Kailee said because her pencil case is empty.  My heart burst with pride since my daughter knows how to share - she's compassionate!  She saw that her classmate needed a pencil to use and she willingly lent hers.  That's so nice of her, diba?

So, when I asked her who this classmate was.  I got so surprised to hear the name of this classmate, the same one who told her to shut up!  Of course, I can't show Kailee that I was upset, but deep inside I was.  I mean, the same person who told her to shut up, was the same one Kailee was showing compassion with (by lending her pencils to use).  I had to remain calm and compose myself.  It took me two days to digest what happened, two days!  After two days, I realized that my little girl is a good girl - because despite that classmate telling her to shut up, she still lent her pencil to her.  She became the better person in the situation.  To tell you the truth if that happened to me (now) I wouldn't even bother lending her my pencil to use.  

I realized that if you counter a bad action with another bad act, then everything will go downhill from there.  But with what Kailee did, well - she was wise and still lent her pen to a classmate in need.  What she did was very nice, she showed mercy and compassion.  It wasn't an issue for her that this classmate told her off, she was still nice to her when this classmate was in need.  It warms my heart and makes me mighty proud that she did this.  She's only 5 and me, I'm 36 and my mind is supposed to be more mature, but she was more mature than me in this situation.

I learned something new, well not so new.  I learned something valuable from my daughter.  It's funny that my daughter had to school me on this mercy and compassion thing.  I just hope that she grows up wonderfully.  I am so proud of her.



Comments

  1. Awww. That was so sweet of her. Sometimes, we really learn things from kids noh?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w