Skip to main content

Hong Kong: The Excelsior Hotel

Above and beyond is what I can say about my recent stay at The Excelsior Hotel.  The hotel really made our stay very comfortable and special.  I don't think I remember any other hotel doing this to us in the recent years.

The Excelsior Hotel has been our go-to hotel when I was still young.  My mom would always pick this hotel or The Park Lane when we were younger.  My brother and I have memorized the streets of Causeway Bay like it was Manila because of our frequent stay here.  It was only when the rates went up and cheaper hotels sprouted that we stopped staying at The Excelsior.  I honestly think it has been more than 15 years since I last stayed there.  It was only last October 2016 that I was able to stay there again.  The lobby, the elevators, the hallways and the room looked the same, it was exactly how I remembered it to be.  All the memories came rushing back - the old World Trade Center mall, how it was a smaller shop then and the small restaurants that filled the streets.  Only the streets were different, everything else was the same.

When I emailed the hotel directly to reserve a room, I informed them that we were arriving earlier than the check in time, they replied saying they will try their best but cannot guarantee it.  During our stay in October of last year, they were able to give us a room immediately.  I was secretly hoping they'd do the same.

Our check-in was a breeze, I think because it's early in the morning - and also, I just learned that Good Friday, Black Saturday and Easter Monday are official holidays in Hong Kong.  My friend Cubie told me before that most Hong Kong-ers go out of Hong Kong when there's a long weekend.  But last weekend, it was the HKTDC's Electronics Fair Spring Edition, and that was my Panget's main purpose.

At the check-in counter, I was kidding with the staff to upgrade our room, he apologized and said there were no upgrades.  After a few clicks, he smiled and said a room was available for us right away, I was really happy since I wanted to freshen up before going to the exhibition.  He also said right after handing the card keys to me *Oh, we've also upgraded you to a harbor view room*, I was ecstatic!  I have long wished to have a harbor view in all of my hotel rooms in HK, but I think it happened just a few times when I was younger, we mostly got city view rooms.

This was what greeted us when we entered the room:



I was floored - it was a REAL harbor view room, it wasn't a semi-harbor view room, it was a LEGIT harbor view.  My Panget caught me smiling and I was just staring at the view.  The room looked really different too!  I mean compared to our room last October 2016.  This room had a bay window (I learned of this bay window from watching Peter Pan the cartoon!  Wendy always sat there when she looked outside).  I think I spent about 15-20 minutes sitting there and admiring the view.  I can't explain it, but it was such a magical moment for me.  My Panget was laughing at me saying how *babaw* I was, I didn't care - I loved the view, I really loved it sooo much.  So you can just imagine, I would spend my morning having breakfast inside the room - looking out the window.  I don't think we even opened the TV in the morning.





I was also glad that they've renovated the rooms.  The rooms are more modern now, the colors are softer on the eye and the furnitures, are more practical.  The bathroom stayed functional as it needs to be.  The hallways are more brightly lit and I loved the new scent of the hotel.

On our last night, we were surprised to see this.  We were also given complimentary white wine.


Did we look like lovebirds to the staff?  Hahaha!!

After packing, I called the Front Desk wanting to ask for a late check out.  I was merely hoping for a 1pm check out since that's the usual leeway that most hotels give.  After a few seconds of hearing clicks here and there, the Front Desk staff told me *Sure, we can extend your check out time to 3pm*, I had to ask again, and I did because I wasn't sure that I heard it correctly - and I did hear it correctly, it was at 3pm - 3PM!  Wow!  The person I was speaking to told me, *since you're flight is at 6pm, we'd be glad to extend it to 3PM*

This is the FIRST TIME EVER that a 3PM check-out time was extended to me in my lifetime.  I was floored.  I guess my Panget heard the surprise and enthusiasm in my voice that he asked why.  So I told him that we extended till 3PM to check out.  He gave an impressed laugh, I guess he was also surprised.  Hahaha!

We were smiling to each other saying, that the staff has gone above and beyond.  We were really impressed.  We really didn't expect anything out of the ordinary for this stay, but we were amazed, surprised and impressed with the kind of service that was given us.  We felt genuine warmth and hospitality during our stay.

Thank you The Excelsior Hong Kong, you're unforgettable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w