Skip to main content

Winning and Losing

A few years ago, my Panget bought board games for us to play with the kids.  Kailee and Connor were so excited even if they didn't know how to play these games.  My Panget got Chutes and Ladders (kids version of snakes and ladders), Monopoly, Jenga, Connect and Trouble.

We started with the simplest one, Chutes and Ladders.  We of course, explain to them the rules on how to go forward in the game and how it is also possible to go back a few or multiple steps back when a corresponding piece lands on a chute.  It was quite easy, right?  So we played.  The kids were really excited.  They went back and forth on the board and when finally, Kailee won - she screamed so excitedly of joy and happiness.  Meanwhile, Connor was screaming a very loud *NOooooooo!* and cried, as in seriously crying.  We all stopped and wondered why he was crying.  When had calmed a bit, we asked him why he cried and screamed - apparently, it was because he lost.  We had to explain to him that in games, there are winners and losers, that not all games can be won by everyone.  But he vowed never to play Chutes and Ladders *ever* again because he lost.

Next up was Jenga.  Well, as you might guess - Connor lost again because the pieces fell as he was trying to ease one out.  It came as a shock to him that the pieces fell and so he cried again.  I think he was getting disheartened with the board games because he wasn't winning.  That night, he declared that he doesn't want to play board gaim *ever* again because he always loses.

Now - how do you properly teach your kids the notion of winning and losing.  I know we all want to win, but games are a game of chance (and skill) and skills develop as you grow and learn.  I honestly have no idea on how to teach him that losing is sometimes okay.  Kailee has been a very good sport, is it because she's a girl and is not as competitive as her brother?  I am not sure really, but she took losing the game really well.  She just told me that it's okay for her to lose.

We have been explaining to Connor the concept of winning and losing in games - but I think, maybe he's too young?  I am not sure - or maybe he's not really wanting to understand the situation.

Help??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FREE Movie passes to FESTIVAL MALL CINEMAS!

This month, I am celebrating my blog's 5th anniversary! To start the month right, I am giving away eight (8) movie passes to Festival Mall Cinemas!! All you need to do is leave a comment. Any comment will do! Just include your name and email address so I can contact you in case you win!! You can join as many times as you want.  Winner will be picked via Random.org. This is a winner take all contest, so only one winner will get to have all the eight (8) movie passes! Contest will run from today until the end of the week - November 6, 2010 at 11:59pm Manila time.  I will be announcing the winner on Sunday - November 7, 2010! Good luck!!

Blog Anniversary Giveaway!

For my blog's 5th anniversary, I'm giving away goodies - and it's a winner take ALL! Image borrowed from THIS site Thank you for eavesdropping for five years. I hope you enjoyed and is still enjoying reading my whatever things! THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!  THANK YOU! Here's the loot: 12 - J&J Mini Body Lotions 1 - Carmex Lip Balm 2 - The Face Shop Masks 1 - Amu'in Insect Repellant 1 - Amu'in Body Mist Joining is really simple: 1)   Leave the following details on the comment section of this post:      a)  Greet me!! :)      b)  Your name      c)  Your email address ( a valid email address please!)      d)  Share this message to your social networking site:  Facebook, Twitter, Plurk, Friendster, Etc.   Blog Anniversary Giveaway!   http://candishhh.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-anniversary-giveaway.html 2)   Kindly complete the details above - re...

the canDIshhh tales : 10th BLOGniversary GIVEAWAY!!

10 years is, WOW! Unbelievable. So, to celebrate my 10th year of blogging today - I'm doing a GIVEAWAY hosted by my favorite brands!! :)  This is just one way of me saying THANK YOU to ALL of my readers and to ALL the brands that have given me their trust and support! Here are just some of the stuff that I will be giving away!! The coveted 2016 Starbucks Moleskine Planner ! Starbucks Beverage Coupons! Melissa Slip-Ons!! K-Pallete stuff I got in Tokyo! GIFT PACKS from the following brands: Serenitea GCs Sevilla Sausage packs Paper Chic Studio  the Bento Mommas Clorox, Glad & Pinesol Philippines Vikings Luxury Buffet GC for 2 Lysol Philippines House of Praise CDs I will make this giveaway really really SIMPLE for everyone!  Just follow do the Rafflecopter instruction and most importantly, leave the following details on the comment section below .  One comment entry PER p...