Skip to main content

Shortcuts, Laziness & the Easy life...

I have noticed that people have become lazy.  I apologize in advance for stereotyping, but the younger generation seems to want everything done - short cut.  They want everything handed to them with ease.  Hard work seems alien to them.  They want things fast and would declare boredom in an instant that they're not being given what they want.

When I was still in school, I remember being told to read texts, directions and handouts two times or more, just to make sure you have all the details that you need.  So I was trained to READ THROUGH everything, painstakingly.  It was something that I didn't want to do, but had to do - and when I became an adult, it was beneficial because - I became patient enough to read through manuals, books and ads.  I remember to always read through everything, even the fine print, just to avoid those unfortunate instances.

Now, why am I writing about this?  Well, I came across a person in the FB Marketplace that sent me a message about some items that I was selling.  Apparently, she just saw the ad and assumed to have seen everything that she needed to see and KNOW and messaged me immediately.  I on the other hand, assumed that she must have read through the whole ad, was surprised and answered with ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I don't think there is any subtle interpretation of my reply - I was being sarcastic.  You see, things get lost in translation in messages, chat messages to be specific, as we do not hear the tone of the other person's voice.  I admit to it, there was only one tone that I wanted to put forth, and it was a sarcastic one.

She then replies to me angrily, telling me that I shouldn't have answered sarcastically.  Noted on the tone, but what I disliked was that - SHE DIDN'T READ THROUGH THE AD PROPERLY.  There was a READ MORE button, but she didn't even click it to read through the ad.  I had to encircle the READ MORE words and screen capture it just to make my point.  She then retorted that yes, she admits that she didn't click through it - thus her question, her point was that she was trying to make a *bargain* and began telling me how wrong I was to answer sarcastically.

I admit, my reply was sarcastic - but I think I am entitled to how I wanted to reply to something that I find really stupid.  I mean come on, DO DUE DILIGENCE in reading!  Blaming the other person's tone of reply to justify your shortcoming is what?  I mean, okay - I take responsibility for being sarcastic, but it was my reaction to the stupidity of the question.  I mean, I'm sorry but I really found her question or bargaining skills really stupid.  Who in their right minds would go and bargain without having all the information?  It's like going to a debate without all the details and just filling them in as you went along, diba?  Well, that's what I felt.  But you know what - I still apologized to this person that she felt offended, but seriously speaking - READ FIRST BEFORE YOU GO ON A TIRADE!

I feel that people nowadays just read through what they want to read and the rest they just make it up along the way.  WHERE IS THE DILIGENCE IN THAT?  I know most everyone wants short cuts, but there are just things that short cuts won't cut through!

Then I get another inquiry on the same ad asking me if I had pictures.  You know, the ad is COMPLETE with images, a group image and INDIVIDUAL images, but this person who asked was too lazy to click through the ad to look for what he's looking for.  LAZY.  I then had to tell this person to check the ad's images because I would be sending the same thing.  But the person didn't stop there, I was asked again for description of the items, to which I screen capped the image of the description and asked that person to READ!  But it didn't end there - the person seemed to be confused on the simple instructions.  In the end, I just gave up and stopped replying altogether.  I swear, my brain couldn't take it anymore.  I've had enough of these laziness to be honest.  ENOUGH!

I know every single person would want to have the best kind of bargain they can, but they can be nice about it and word it PROFESSIONALLY.  In this age of text messages and Facebook, people have become complacent and have become lazy and business ethics have been thrown out the doors and windows never to be seen again.

Once I received an FB messenger inquiry, this message came it at almost 11:00PM (night time), I then received a follow-up message some 30 minutes after that and another one after an hour.  The last message came in at about 3:00am with an angry tone that was threatening, the message was somthing like this *Hindi ka ba talaga, magrereply?  Magiiwan ako ng negative comment! /So are you really going to ignore my messages?  I'll be leaving a negative comment!*  Imagine reading this the next morning.  I had to reply with *Hello, your messages came it AFTER office hours, no one was available to reply to your queries.  We are available now, and we will answer in a while*  We then received a reply *Hindi ba kayo 24/7?*  to which I answered that business hours were from 8am to 5pm during weekdays - the reply we got after this was the SILLIEST reply we have EVER gotten *Eh bakit pa kayo nasa Facebook kung hindi kayo 24/7*?  The whole office laughed out loud when we read the reply.  This person had the littlest brain ever, this person is unable to comprehend that being on Facebook doesn't mean it's being manned 24/7.  See his logic?  It's really really stupid!

----

Since my kids are now both in big school.  I have noticed that some parents want their children to have ease of everything.  We carry their bags, drop them off the nearest gates and buy what they want because it goes with the trend.  I know as parents, we want whats best for our children - but showering them with all these things, might not be all good for them.

I remember my SIL being surprised that I wanted to drop off Kailee at the gate of my choosing because of MY convenience.  She warned me that it was a long walk for Kailee if I dropped her off the gate of my choosing.  To which I replied, well - when I was younger, my mom didn't think of my convenience, so I would walk to my classroom with ease.  I honestly didn't notice that it was that far.  It was only when she pointed it out that I did realize, it was a distance.  But I told her, if I was able to do it when I was younger, Kailee should be able to do it now.  She then told me that Kailee's bag would be heavy, I then replied I knew because my bag was heavy too, but I never overly complained about it.  I mean, come on - we all went through that process, right?  So why make things easier for them?  In my mind, Kailee should be able to experience what I did when I was in big school.

Early on, I have trained Kailee to carry her own bag.  I must say that sometimes, when I see yayas and parents carry or pull their kid's bags I make little judgements in my head.  Some would say *Maawa na naman sa bata*, well they're kids - and they're resilient - depriving them of this experience will not be good for their future.  In my opinion, they will always feel the need of someone to assist them.  Where will independence set it?  Almost never.  I believe that instilling responsibility in kids is good, little bits of responsibility - like carrying their own bags and small chores at home.  I admit, we are spoiled in the house because we have helpers, but when we don't have a helper - the kids join in with the chores of helping me cook, setting the table and washing the dishes with Dada.  They seem to enjoy it and I'm glad that they are.

Just this morning, I witnessed a meltdown of a young girl.  She refused to pull her school bag so her Yaya was forced to pull it for her.  Just to give you an idea, the little girl was quite small and her back was the trolley type that looked really boxy that you can even sit on it.  It looked heavy, but since it had wheels, pulling it would be *easier*.  To be honest, her bag looks bigger that her.  In my opinion, pulling her back was something she can do - if she can't pull it, then she could have just pushed it.    When reached the gate to tap in, she had this troubling look in her eyes, worrying.  She then refused to let go of her Yaya's hand saying that she cannot pull her bag to her classroom.  The guard then tells us (everyone present there) that the little girl should have entered the other gate nearer to her classroom.  It is that kind of thinking that I feel is wrong, the convenience of the child is always thought of - but what about the convenience of the adult?  The little girl then turns on the water works and starts crying - the Yaya of course, won't be allowed to enter right?  So there they were, pulling and letting go.  The Yaya let go and left the little girl, but the little girl tried to follow the Yaya so the Yaya had to go back and talk her into going inside the gate.  It was a meltdown - something that I feel can be avoided - but hey, that's just me.  As I walked back to the car, I saw more little girls pulling their own trolley bags without Yayas or even any adult supervision.  I don't know, I just found it bothersome, but hey - that's just me.

I remembered my good friend K, she told me that she lets her son enter and exit in a gate that is quite far from her son's classroom.  In my head - far might not be *far*, but then she showed me a video and its was an endless walk - crossing a football field!  Can you imagine?  I saw him walking from one end to another pulling his stroller bag with him - and he'll do that EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I know it's easy for us to pick up after our children, but then what good will it do to them, right?  They will always rely on us for everything - and that's really not how it's supposed to be.  Yes, we can indulge them from time to time, but there are just things for me that you need to toughen up and let them do it.

Witnessing meltdowns and these things online made me realize how I want to raise my kids.  I want them responsible, hardworking, tough and confident.  There are so many instances that I wanted to step in and fight their battles, but I know it won't do them good.  As much as I want to shower them with all the love and care in the world, and shield them from the negativity and hurt - I know that they need to go through what they need to go through.  I will just be here for them.

But you know what - it's easier said than done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w