Skip to main content

Cooking Quest: Homemade Chicken Sopas

I really like Chicken Sopas.  I remember when I was in grade school in ICA, I would run down to the canteen right after the bell rang for recess, so I can buy myself a cup of chicken sopas or arroz caldo.  I remember trying this every so often because I really liked hearty soup during recess.  There were times that the canteen would sell out on the chicken sopas and arroz caldo.  But surprise surprise, the kuya or ate who serve will always give me a smile and offer me a bowl that they've kept for me.  Sweet, noh?  Awwww!!



Since I also wanted some Chicken Sopas at home, I would buy the trusty Knorr Chicken or Beef Sopas pack in the supermarket.  This has been a staple in all of my supermarket runs.  I would need to have a few packs in the pantry just in case I had a craving.  It was so easy to make and I felt comforted when I had it.  I would still do this after I got married.  I even introduced my kids to having it because they were curious what Mommy was having.  It was last year, I think - that I noticed that the supermarket that I frequent doesn't carry the Knorr Chicken or Beef Sopas anymore.  I remember one time seeing packs of Knorr Beef Sopas on the shelves of Landmark Trinoma (maybe a year ago or so), I bought a few packets.  In my mind, since it was still sold there - I can always go back.  But when I went back a month ago, I didn't see it anymore.  I asked the staff in Landmark and was told that the product was phased out.  I never got a confirmation because I didn't try to call the consumer hotline of Knorr.  Maybe I should.

The past weeks, I haven't felt 100%.  I felt that my colds have been overlapping, bummer right?  But then last weekend, I decided that I need the comforting chicken sopas.  Seeing Rowena's IG post that she made chicken sopas from scratch inspired me to make my own.  I knew I had to do it because there were no short cut anymore.

So I browsed through Panlasang Pinoy's Rich and Creamy Chicken Sopas recipe and used it as a guide.  I tweaked it to become my own version.  I was also tipped by Animetric to use Cheez Whiz instead of salt.  So I bought a tipid pack during my supermarket run.  I will share below the ingredients and the procedures.



I honestly can't believe that I made my own chicken sopas from scratch!  It was possible.  I reminded me so much of the chicken sopas that I had in ICA.  The kids and my Panget loved it too.  It was a success!  Hahaha..  Now, I know that I can do it again - and it's not that hard to do.




Ingredients:
1 Kilo Chicken Soup Pack (this is usually the breast part)
6 cups of Water (or more since you will be cooking the macaroni in the 'soup')
1 pack of Elbow Macaroni
1 big can of Carnation Evap
Cheez Whiz
2-3 pcs Knorr Chicken Cubes
1 large Onion
8 strips of Bacon chopped into smaller pieces
1/4 cup Butter
1 medium Carrot (diced)
1 small Cabbage chopped

In a large pot, boil chicken in the water.  Boil for about 20 minutes, take out the chicken let it cool.  When cooled, take out the meat and chop (I rough chopped it, but for uniformity's sake - dice it).  But the bones back in the chicken broth and continue to boil over low heat.  Add the 1 can of Carnation Evap and boil.  Add elbow macaroni and cook.  Please stir from time to time.

In another pan, cook the bacon with little oil.
Add the butter and cook.
Add the onions and carrots.
Cook until the carrots are softened
Add a little chicken broth so you can scrape the pan better



Take out the chicken bones from the boiling chicken broth.
Add the bacon, onion, and carrot mixture to the broth.
Add chopped cabbage and boil 5 minutes.

Taste the chicken sopas and add Cheez Whiz.  Don't forget to season with pepper too!  Oh by the way, I felt that the Cheez Whiz I added was too little, thus I needed to add chicken cubes for more flavor.

That's it!

Hope you enjoy!  If you have other tips, let me know!  I would love to try your version!!

On my next try, I would do the following:
1)  Use Ham instead of Bacon
2)  I'll cook the elbow macaroni beforehand in whole milk and add the liquid to the chicken broth (instead of evap)
3)  I'll add pounded garlic
4)  Use one whole chicken (cut up) for the broth
5)  Use the chicken breast and dice it (I rough chopped kasi)
6)  I will try to put vienna sausages

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w