Skip to main content

Geena's Deliciously Rich Chocolate Cake

I am not a chocolate person.  It was only when 8 years ago that I started to appreciate chocolates - the brown ones I mean.  I prefer white chocolate, but some say that it's really NOT chocolate per se.  But I started my appreciation with chocolate during a pregnancy craving while I was pregnant with Kailee.  I would eat certain chocolate cakes and drink hot chocolate.

I like my chocolate cakes sweet.  I've tried so many 'the best' chocolate cakes but most of them are a bit bitter.  I think it's really me - because a chocolate enthusiast will appreciate the more bitter darker chocolates, am I right?  So I'm the pretend chocolate fan.  Hahaha! I can admit that.  Hihi..

My in laws are chocolate lovers.  They like and appreciate anything chocolate.  So during our usual family dinner, I thought to bring a chocolate cake from somewhere we haven't ordered before.  I saw on Leslie's (shootfirsteatlater) and Jin's (jinlovedtoeat) IG feed - Geena's Chocolate Cake.  They were raving about it and it looked really interesting and good!  To be honest, it wasn't very appealing to me - because 'not much of a chocolate fan', but then I made a mental note to remember it for the benefit of my in laws and for future reference.  Hihi..

So I ordered and the very nice person at the other end of the mobile number was very kind to accommodate my quite last minute order.  (Thank you!!) I sent the order from, made payment and waited the next day for my order to come.  I ordered the 10x14 and it cost Php1,650.00.   It was quite painless - our exchange was very fast and clear.  They deliver via Lalamove and so it was all the more convenient, I didn't need to have it picked up!  Yey, right?

When the order arrived, the cake was inside a pristine white box with a black ribbon and a tag that says Geena's Cake Boutique.  When I opened the box - it looked so perfect!  I swear, it looked really chocolatey.  I was honestly a bit repelled since it was all brown!  Hahaha..  Look how perfect the ganache is - my reflection is there taking a photo (buking!)







So that night, when dessert time came - I did the first slice - and I knew I had to try it first, if it was dark chocolatey or if it was the kind of chocolate that I liked.  The slice was quite an experience, the cake knife dug into the ganache and I knew that I was cutting into the cake because of there was a bit of resistance.  This was the first corner slice:



Look at that gooey ganache and chocolate cake.  I was afraid honestly.  It looked really chocolate-y, I was hoping that it will be the right kind of chocolate that I liked!  Hahaha...  And when I took the first bite.  I was sooooo perfect for me!  The texture was exactly how I imagined a rich chocolate cake was to be, the ganache had the sweetness that wasn't overly sweet.  I was honestly afraid that my in laws would think it too sweet!  I gave my panget a bite and he said it was good.  I got my father in law spoon full to try and he said it was good.  It was such a hit!  Kailee and Connor asked for slices too - and they were saying how yummy it was!  We even gave Shobe some to try and she kept going back to my Panget because she wanted more - she looked really cute and messy eating it.

Look at what happened to the cake:



On our family dinners, my Panget and I usually take home the left over dessert.  It was always us and no one else.  But guess what happened - my SIL took home half of what was left!  Hahaha..  I think she loved it too!  See how good it was?

When we got home, Connor asked for a slice.  I was reluctant but gave in.  The next morning, my Panget and I had it for breakfast - and by lunch time - our 'take home' was gone.  It was that good!



Try it if you haven't.

I can't stop thinking about it.  Hahha!

Thank you Geena's Cake Boutique for sharing your creation!  We LOVED it so much!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w