Skip to main content

#IFLIX K-Drama: Sky Castle

I've long heard that the K-Drama #SkyCastle is very good.  When I had the opportunity to see it on IFLIX, I immediately did.



The first episode was shocking.  What was more shocking are the episodes that followed.  I was shocked, surprised, overwhelmed and in disbelief of what I was seeing on the screen.  I was told that this happens in real life in Korea.  I then realized, this happens to in our local setting.

I remember when Kailee was still starting out in pre-school, I was being told to put her in various classes.  This was for Kailee's benefit, they said - because schooling now is quite competitive!  I laughed when I heard this - but then when I applied her in ICA, well - that's when I saw what they meant.  Kailee was in a midst of peers that knew how to read and etc!  But to be honest, I didn't want to burn her out - I knew my daughter would be able to catch up.  And I personally believed that if Kailee knew most everything that would be taught to her - what would the school do then, right?

Sky Castle is relatable to us parents simply because we want what is best for our child.  We want them to have the best form of education that we can afford.  Also here in the PH, there is the shame of not being able to follow the footsteps of successful parents.  I am curious - when did this 'shaming' start?  I never thought that for Koreans, it's the same thing.  I was so surprised at the level of eagerness the parents go through to 'help' out their children to the point of making it easy for them.

I felt that thais K-Drama was quite heavy and it honestly took me a while to finish the whole series.  I had to de-stress for a few days before I can watch another episode.  But I was able to finish the series.  It was a good eye opener to me as a parent.  I still shudder when I think about certain scenes from the series.  It's really too good to be true, but it happens in real life.

Sky Castle is an honest depiction of the cut throat life that is being a parent.  It transcends race and the message is universal.  Here are some of the lessons that I learned after watching the show.

1)  We need to let our children fail.  So they can learn that they can go back up.  We parents are there to guide and teach.  I know it's hard, but we need to control our helping them or else, they will give up at the first sign of hardship.

2)  Love is seen and felt differently by different people.  Love is a universal thing, but what I saw in the series let me to believe that we as children and parents see it differently.  Our parents work had for us so they can provide for our needs.  We children yearn for their presence and resent them from when they don't notice us.  I wonder, is there a way to balance this out?  It's quite hard honestly and sometime providing for physical needs is not enough.

3)  Compassion.  This is something I really feel is lacking in the world.  So many of us just go and do our thing without thinking of the effects on others.  As long as we're not directly affected - we just ignore things and let them be.  How I wish every human being is a socially responsible person - I think the world would be a better place.

4)  Stop the cycle.  If what is happening is not ideal or bad, learn to say no and STOP the cycle from happening again.  We tend to see what is wrong but we are too afraid to stop it from happening again.  It has to begin from us, we should learn to stop the cycle.  This has to be our intention - continue with the good and stop the not so good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding Mama!

"Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants." When I got pregnant, I knew instantly that I would be breastfeeding my baby.  My mom found it odd that I decided to breastfeed - this was because I grew up formula fed.  My twin brother and I were given formula since birth, there was no attempt whatsoever to breastfeed.  In fact my mom recounted that she was given medicine to stop the milk production.  My pedia, Dr. Joy Ty-Sy said that during my mom's time (when she had us) it was the boom of formulas, that it was the trend that time.  I grew up with formula, my c

ANSON SUPERMARKET - Grocery delivery!!

Sharing is caring, so we can't keep it a secret any longer.  THIS is where we get out groceries!  Well, Anson Supermarket has been where we have been purchasing all of our kids' diapers!  From Kailee to Connor to Shobe!  Yes, yes, yes! A week into the lockdown, it just occurred to us that we can get our groceries from them - but then we thought, we didn't want to force them to do it - after all it's a different time now.  But when we asked and they said yes, it was like we won the lottery.  We sent out our list - a very VERY SPECIFIC list and voila after a day or two (we weren't in a rush) they told us to schedule a pick up.  Please remember that I am sharing this with you guys because I believe so much in the saying 'sharing is caring'.  Please be mindful of your language and respect those who will call or message you about your orders.  Also note that some items might NOT be available - so manage your expectations.   They're a full functioning

#CookingQuest: Winter Melon Soup ala Didi #EnhancedCommunity

One of the things that gets ooohs and aaaahs in a chinese restaurant is the #WinterMelonSoup.   You may ask why?  Well because with this soup, restaurants use the winter melon itself as a huge bowl to serve the soup!  It's a sight to see as you'll be amazed how they were able to pull it off.  You'll see the whole winter melon, and then suddenly they're take out the top part and when you peek in, the soup is inside together with meat bits and other veggies!  My mom has tried it at home, and I remember her being nervous that the winter melon doesn't break apart, kunde sira ang presentation! So during this #EnhancedCommunityQuarantine, I chanced upon Theo's Farm that they have winter melon, so I ordered.  When I saw it - I knew I wouldn't be able to pull off the carving and serving the winter melon.  It actually made the preparation easier.  I had to ask my mom, and she told me to steam the winter melon to soften it.  Honestly, I don't think I can w